This is a really sweet yet sour and spicy dish it can be accompanied with fine wine or eaten alone, this serves as a really great appetizer and can be eaten anyday, and at anytime
For the spice mix
– 1 tsp chilli flakes
– 1 tsp coriander seeds
– 6 black peppercorns
– 1 clove
For the crab cakes
– 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
– 225gmashed potato
– 2 spring onions, finely chopped
– 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
– 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
– 1 tbsp peas
– 100gplain flour
– 2 free-range eggs, beaten
– 100g breadcrumbs
– olive oil, for frying
1. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the spices and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until aromatic. Transfer the fried spices to a pestle and mortar and grind to a powder.
2. Mix together the spices, coconut, crabmeat, mashed potato, spring onions, herbs and peas in a large mixing bowl until well combined. Divide into six and shape into patties.
3. Place the flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dredge the crab cakes in flour, then dip into the egg and finally coat in breadcrumbs
4. Heat little olive oil in a frying pan and fry the crab cakes for three minutes on each side. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.